Friday, October 5, 2007

SPIN CX practice

This week's CX practice had 3 times the attendance of last week due to the good weather and InterBike being over. The course layout definitely pointed out a weak point for me and for a few other people: bunny hopping. We did a similar course last year where we had to ride over a 4 inch curb. While I don't think I pinch flatted last year, I bashed my rear wheel so hard that I needed to replace my rim. I was running Tufo tubular clinchers at the time an they weren't inflated enough to really protect the rim.

I wanted to run the Tufo's to get some practice on them prior to racing with the set. It seems like they handle a lot looser in the corners and I want to get used to the drift. In hindsight, I should have changed wheelsets and gone with the trusty Ritchie Speedmax rubber. The first warning sign was on the warm up lap, where we went over a really small bump entering the parking lot. I bunny hopped, but not well and my rear tire still hit the bump (hard enough to knock one of my rear disc brake pads out). I had problems with a pad falling out on Sunday (which I didn't notice until we were done with practice). This time I heard the pad hit the black top and was able to back track and get it. Saved spending another $22 for a replacement.

After getting the pad put back in and just missing the start of the practice race, I was able to catch back on the end of the pack and start picking people off. The pace was much higher initially today compared to last week. I was doing well and made it past the point where I'd lost the brake pad (once or twice), when I came to the 2nd spot where a bunny hop was necessary. I again wasn't able to clear my rear wheel properly and immediately heard my tire pop and loose all its air. The rider right behind me made it through, but the person after him also pinch flatted at that point.

We were joined by Matt who had also flatted as we walked back to the parking lot. Here we found Tom Dominic and Matt Weeks who were also changing tires. Derek had also got a mechanical (front flat I think) earlier in the lap, so there were definitely people having issues.

I swapped out the rear wheel and after pouting briefly over the loss of a $50 dollar tire, I caught on to the back of the race. At this point I was just out for a work out and trying to practice technique. However, I still ended up taking two pretty good spills. I think my front tire might have been handling a lot looser than the rear (Ritchie), thus causing cornering issues. In any case I came away unscathed.

Definitely time for me to start practicing bunny hops. I need to be able to clear something bigger than a dixie cup.

3 comments:

Ray Huang said...

I'm right there with you on the bunny hopping!! Maybe we can trade off laying on the ground and trying to bunny hop each other. ummmm....you lay down First!!!

Rick said...

bunnys.....yup ya gotta get that down....may be the only thing I was able to do that night.

Gary Burkholder said...

Rick, since you've got the bunny hopping down already, you can be the one to lay down while Ray and I practice.

:^P