Tuesday, October 7, 2008

2008-10-05 Leroy Twp Cyclocross

Last Sunday Sadie and I found ourselves at the Leroy Twp CX race. We arrived a little later than I had wanted, and we didn't have time to preview the course before the start of the C race. It ended up being OK as I was able to get out there once the C's started to finish.

The starting area was a little cramped so getting a good position would be critical. I lined up on the far left, and a couple of riders came in late to fill in further to my left which was OK. Drew Berclaw got the hole shot with me right behind him through the first 90*, 180*, 90* turn combo heading into the only set of barriers. The barriers were pretty close and Drew ended up kicking the second barrier, splintering the white pine plank. He looked and said he was OK as I shot past.

An of camber right turn lead into a tightening spiral with a 180* switchback at the end to shoot you back out. The next obstacle was a BIG dirt mound with 20-30 yards of MTB style single track along the top ridge. I was fully prepared to run this section, but I can't recall if I ran it during the race at all. I do remember biting it HARD coming down the off camber turn at the end because I was braking too hard with the front. I banged up my knee pretty good and dropped my chain under the 3rd eye. However, I didn't loose any places in this mishap, only valuable time.

Through a muddy round about and then across a quick bump of a ditch. This lead into a maze of turns around several trees, I ended up taking an extra turn here losing more time on a later lap... Making a narrow turn around a baseball field while trying to avoid the ditch lead out onto a welcomed pavement section before the circus of switchbacks which took you across a ditch along the road 7 times. The ditch crossings became increasingly difficult because the ditch got deeper the farther down the course. The first crossings were ridable (more so heading out toward the road than back into the field). Hitting the crossings at a slight angle let you climb across the slope so it wasn't as steep. Even then the later crossings had me almost stalling out heading back up to the field. I decided to dismount on these as shown below.

Ditch crossing

Once the playing in the ditch part was complete, we passed the wheel pits and rode around the grass along the edge of the park back to the start/finish.

The race was pretty uneventful and even though there was $$ on the line for the top four spots, I just wasn't into racing that day. I found myself settling in on a 'managable' pace not really wanting to chase but more to maintain my position. Nate Loman tried to bring me along as he went on the chase, but I couldn't make myself stick on his wheel. Towards the end of the race I just tried not to slow down or cost myself any more time with dumb mistakes.

There is a picture of the course layout HERE. Results and pictures can be found HERE.

3 comments:

Ray Huang said...

I love that gif of you clearing the ditch!! NIce and stylish riding!! Love the new ride too. Its looks good on ya!!

Good luck this weekend.

Julie Lewis-Sroka said...

That gif looks like you are puttin on a ditch riding clinic! Great job Gary.

MattO said...

that video makes my head spin broha!