Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Twin Sizzler

I raced the Twin Sizzler in Medina, OH for the first time today. It was a really fun race, but I was a little out of my realm as I had no idea what to expect from the course. I should have mapped it out last night on google, because the map on the event website was no where near being to scale.

Both SBR and Spin did a good job of working the front and the lead group stayed together for the whole race. Dave took a flier off the front with around 1km to go. Had I known that we were that close to the finish, I wouldn't have made a feeble attempt at sitting up and trying to block...

Coming out of what would be the last set of turns I was sitting at about 15-20th. I look up the road and wonder, gee why are all those people standing up there cheering?? I was able to sprint into the top 10-12 (I think) - it was definitely a mass finish. The volunteers at the finish line were basically looking for the racers to tell them what the finish order was. I will certainly be more prepared come next year's race!

I've added info on 2008's Twin Sizzler race here [including a Google MAP]:
http://cyclonecross.blogspot.com/2008/06/next-scheduled-race-in-neo.html

On a more positive note, I grabbed 4th place at the Westlake world championships last night. I'd had a hunch that the BIG DOGS would be resting up for the races today. And I was correct. Matt Weeks and a rider from RGF had a solid break away with 6 or so laps to go. About 800m from the start of the final lap, Stefan Kadar (RGF) and Justin Piccorelli (Spin) jumped. I waited back briefly waiting for Tris or one of the A&F guys to leap to the chase. When no one else responded, I quickly bridged and hung just a bit back to catch breath and settle the HR. We continued to work and build our gap all the way to the finish. With 200m to go Stefan was 1st, Justin 2nd, and I was 3rd. Stefan got a good jump and I wasn't able to catch him.

I'm still waiting on my Thomson Masterpiece seat post to arrive. The Selle Italia SLR saddle I just upgraded to, was exactly 1/2 the weight of my 270g Fizik saddle. The bike is now sitting around 16.75lbs. I just need to upgrade the 105 crank and the Ksyrium Elite rear wheel, and I might be able to drop the weight close to or below 16lbs.

1 comment:

Ray Huang said...

Really nice job at Westlake! I need ot learn how ot position and sprint from you!!