Sunday, July 1, 2007

Bike work...

It's funny how things just cascade in these situations. I finally got around to measuring the chain on my CX bike. It was definately at the replacement stage with a measurement of 12 1/8th inches. I should have checked it and replaced it sooner, although the cassette and chainrings still look good.

The question at this point became, do I slap another 9sp chain on there? I've been intending to change over to 10sp for my CX bike. This doesn't really help me with compatability with my 10sp road bike, since my CX has disc breaks and 135mm hub spacing. In thinking about it after the fact, I didn't really have a compelling reason to go 10sp. But hey, why not...

And while I'm going 10sp, I also want to swap my handlebar and stem from my road bike to my CX. On friday night I get started. Cambria Bike Outfitters was kind enough to sent me out a spankin new EA70 stem for 49.95 shipped off eBay. I am still extremely bitter with Performance Bike for reneging on the EA90 stem I ordered from them (they refunded my the cost of the stem, but not the tax they charged on it).

I pull the tape and shifters off of my current FSA bar, pull the stem off the fork and slap the set on the scale; 320g. I mount the EA70 stem to the EC90 Equipe carbon bar and weigh it; 240g. I'm hoping the stiffness will be OK. The bar and stem aren't OS, hence the weight savings. The Easton parts go on the road bike and the tape goes back on OK. I torque everything to spec and it feels really solid.

On Sat at about 4pm I decide it's time to work on the CX bike, as I need to have it rideable by 7:30-8pm for the Century Cycles night ride. Rear derailuer comes off since it looks pretty ragged and in need of some cleaning and lube. Rear shift and break cables look reusable. Tape, shifters, bar, and stem come off.

I'd like to remove the bar top brakes at some point, but they'll stay on for now so I can reuse the cables. Bar and stem from road bike go on, and the reach is really good. I had been feeling pretty cramped on the 40cm bar and stem that was about 1/2 the length of the 120mm that I've moved to. I decide to use the old 105 shifter from my road bike and save the new Ultegra shifter for a Frankenbike project (more to come). The 105 RD, 105 25-12 cassette, and hardly worn Shimano 10sp chain from my road bike find their places on the CX.

I get everything back together and adjusted OK and realize that my roll of bar tape is over at Rick's. Oh well, that's what gloves are for... I head out to the night ride and like the last one realize I won't make it to Lock 29 in time.

This time I drive to an park at the Canal Visitor's Center instead of at Rockside. I run into and chat with a friend from work briefly and then am on my way. I figure if the ride is going north, I'll run into them really soon. If their going south, I've got some major catch up to do...

Turns out that they went south and I finally caught everyone at the Botzum Station, where they had stopped. After about 5 minutes about 10 of us proceeded to ride further south to Portage trail. We turned around to head back firing up our lights. A brief detour down Ira and to past Hale farm(?) and then back to the towpath.

Back at Peninsula, Brett, Cheryl, a guy from the RR Century store and I grab a bite at the Lizard. Afterward we part ways and I ride back to my car; getting there at 12am sharp and 58mi round trip.

9am start time for a Team Mellen MS150 training ride and more biking fun.

No comments: