Thursday, August 7, 2008

Awesome... Yet another reason to move to Europe.

From: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSCOL66909620080806?sp=true


All U.S. adults could be overweight in 40 years

Wed Aug 6, 2008 6:57pm EDT

By Amy Norton

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - If the trends of the past three decades continue, it's possible that every American adult could be overweight 40 years from now, a government-funded study projects.

The figure might sound alarming, or impossible, but researchers say that even if the actual rate never reaches the 100-percent mark, any upward movement is worrying; two-thirds of the population is already overweight.

"Genetically and physiologically, it should be impossible" for all U.S. adults to become overweight, said Dr. Lan Liang of the federal government's Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, one of the researchers on the study.

However, she told Reuters Health, the data suggest that if the trends of the past 30 years persist, "that is the direction we're going."

Click HERE to read more, and then get out and excersice if the article worries you!

6 comments:

Cycling Phun said...

I'll have to do some work to find the article...
You may want to rethink the "move". I just read an article recently that was talking about how asian countries are getting more and more obese. I think it has a lot to do with the westernization of them. We keep shoving McDonalds and the like down their throats. Kinda crazy...

Ray Huang said...

Too much beef in the new Asian diet and possibly less physical labor.

Eric said...

In 40 years I will be 81. Hell if I'm going to be overweight. I'm planning on still being my bike and hopefully running as well.

Gary Burkholder said...

Guys, Europe is where it's at (not Asia)!

Eric, I thought the same thing when I read the article. I know I'm going to do my damn'dest to not be over weight again. I was 172-174lbs a few years back; thanks to racing and being a little dehydrated, I saw 138lbs twice this week. (I've been hanging out at 140-142 for the longest time)

gwadzilla said...

last night I was at a County fair in Maryland

some of the rides had weight limits

an odd twist

all those wonderful fried fatty foods

and rides that ban its guests

Gary Burkholder said...

I'm starting to think the airlines have the right idea by not serving excess in-flight food or charging extra for obese passengers. On the other hand, I feel bad for poor people who can't afford to buy healthy foods or for someone who's overweight due to a medical condition...