Thursday, August 21, 2008

What is wrong with this picture?

I had been mystified that I wasn't seeing new posts from one of my favorite bloggers, Dave Moulton, in my Bloglines Feeds. After clicking over to his blog, I realized that he'd changed where his blog is hosted, and I had to update my stuff. Once I was back in business, I was a little mystified to come across this post:

Right-Hooked: Almost

Here is a story with an interesting video clip, out of Rochester, NY. A cyclist is almost right-hooked by a police patrol car; the cop then pulls the cyclist Gabriel Zayas over, and lets him off with a warning.

I would hope the cop stopped him to apologize, although I doubt it. The cyclist did nothing wrong he was riding his bike, in the proper place on the right hand edge of the road, as required by law, when the police car makes a right turn in front of him. The police driver is clearly at fault.

To add insult to the situation, the local TV News Station ran the video as an example of police zero tolerance on crime. There was no crime, in fact there was a traffic violation against the cyclist.

The commentator states, “A patrol car is about to make a right turn when a bicyclist darts out from the side, narrowly missing the patrol car.”

Not true by what I see on the video; the cyclist is riding straight down the road and is clearly there before the police car attempted his turn.

Click here to read the rest of Dave's post or the intelligent discussion in the dozens of comments. Here is a screenshot from the news video of the incident:


I did a quick search of the NY State's DOT site and came across information that validates the police officer was in the wrong. Jason, founder of Rochesters's RocBike.com, has this to say (along with helping to summarize the NY laws):

I urge News 10 NBC to use this as a teachable moment, and to run a series of segments during your newscasts on safety procedures for drivers and cyclists. Let’s use this near-miss as a chance to score a hit for road safety in Rochester.

...

TAKE ACTION!: Ask News 10 NBC to help promote driver and cyclist safety. Feel free to use the letter above or write your own, then send it to news1@news10NBC.com. You can also call (585) 546-5670.

It’s really unfortunate that the news media feels the need to polarize issues in this way. It unfortunately takes a lot of effort to do a well thought out piece which would generate this much buzz in cycling circles, but it’s pretty easy to muck it up and embrace the (negative) publicity.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I don't know Gary. Several issues with this video. Can't tell if the cop was using his turn signal. The car was at the intersection before the bike, even though it does look like the cop overtook the cyclist.

Then the cyclist admits that his brakes don't work very well. He could be cited for operating an unsafe bike.

I think it's a 50/50 on this one. We have a person riding a bike, not necessarily a "cyclist"...not to sound elitist.....who doesn't have the same experience riding in the road like we do.

I wish the footage started about 15 seconds earlier.