Sunday, July 27, 2008

Danville State RR Championships

On the bequest of Dave Steiner, the men of SBR headed to Danville to do the 1-2-3 State RR Championships. A non-existent warm-up, combined with trying to work in the race as opposed to just sitting in, didn't work out so well for me. In the 11 person field, I was the 2nd person to be ejected from the back 1/2 way through the first of 4 laps amongst the first set of climbs.

I made a 1/2 hearted attempt to chase back on, but fully realizing the suffering which would lie ahead if I were to rejoin, I considered my race over. On the 2nd major climb of the lap, made contact with a rider from RGF who pulled off at the top of the climb. Through the start/finish, the official told me 3 laps to go, and I continued on. I let myself get as far as the Danville city limits before I bagged it, headed back, and told him I DNF.

I talked with Paul Mayton's dad for a bit and then decided to head down to the feed zone to give hand offs to my team mates. As I waited, the 3 leaders of my race came flying by: Jeremy Grimm, Joe Cooper, and Hayden Godfrey (the current Omnium World Champion). Let's just say that I had made a poor choice for my first try at a 1-2-3 race. A few minutes later two more riders from the field came through, but it was several more minutes before Tom Keller rolled through. I gave off a much deserved water bottle and waited for my other team mates.

It wasn't until much later when Dave drove up in his Element. He and Pete had called the quits after the end of the 2nd lap. After chatting for a bit we decided to head back into town. Tom was done after his 3rd lap which was good for 6th place, the final finishing spot. The rider ahead of Tom also stopped after 3 laps.
Ohio State Road Race Results - Saturday, July 26, 2008
Here are the results for the 2008 Ohio State Road race Championships [more]

Last year's race went a little bit better, although I did have a costly error.

I found out today that my Cat 3 Upgrade was approved. Let's hope that Zoar, my first true race as a Cat 3 goes much better!

3 comments:

Eric said...

Another CAT 3 for the team. Congrats.

Rick said...

congrats on the upgrade....the CAT 4s will miss you beating up on them!
:-)

ds said...

Sure.....blame me!!!

-ds