Wednesday, September 24, 2008

2008-09-22-23 Michigan Double CX UCI

PIC_2347
PIC_2347,
originally uploaded by Robert Sroka.
I did the 2008 Michigan Double Cross UCI races this past weekend (was in town anyway for my nephew's 1st B-day). I just built up a new Ritchey steel CX bike on Thurs / Fri and had never even ridden it off road, let alone raced it prior to Saturday morning. Saturday's race was a little disappointing. I had just moved up into 2nd place on the 1st of 3 laps when I dropped my chain and got passed by about 20 guys while I tried to get it back on.

I was pretty flustered, since I knew I had been right up there. So I tried a little too hard to regain position and washed out twice in quick order on two down hill off-camber corners (losing even more positions). I managed to get my head on straight and fight back up, but then dropped my chain again after rear ending a guy who stalled while trying to ride a steep hill. The chain had fallen under my 3rd eye guard and I had a really hard time pulling it back out so I could get it on the ring again(I had to get the chain on the ring past the guard to the front and then force it out by turning the crank backward). All told, I guess I should have been happy with 15th place, even though I knew I should have gotten top 5.

Sunday went much better. I kept the wheels down on all except 2 corners, and those spills only cost me one place each, which I was able to quickly make up. I was able to keep the chain on, although it started to come out after the 2nd fall. I got 2nd and probably could have contended more for 1st, but all struggles I went through the day before, I decided to try and play it safe and ride more conservatively.

PIC_2464
PIC_2464,
originally uploaded by Robert Sroka.
Considering the total lack of experience I had on the new bike, having taped up the bar the morning of the first race, I'm really pleased with the handling and performance. While the course was dry and packed down overall, there were many corners consisting of downhill off camber switchbacks which were pretty sketchy because of the morning due (particularly on day two). I still need to experiment a little with tire pressure and am running the tires with a little higher presure than I'd like to run them. I'm worried about bottoming out and pinch flatting or damaging the wheels though.

I need to send out a HUGE Thank You to Rudy and to Bike Authority for getting me hooked up with such a sweet bike on such short notice. I've been to a lot of bike shops in Northeast Ohio, and Bike Authority surpasses them all when it comes down to it. But don't just take my word for it, be sure to stop over at the MyFoxCleveland HOT LIST and see for yourself what other people have to say!

4 comments:

ds said...

po. di. um.

nice.

-ds

Rick said...

lol, I couldn't say it any better ds!
Way to come back after a tough day with the 2nd! Here's to the two UCIs coming up in OCT!

Judi said...

SWEET! I love seeing the cx pix on all the blogs.

Gary Burkholder said...

Thanks guys!

Judi - I have to say I like the pics on your blog a whole lot better. ;) Is Lisa single? (not asking for myself but for a close friend)